Spot Idli Recipe | Hyderabadi Spot Idli | Street food recipe with step-by-step pictures and instructions. Spot Idli is a very popular street food in Hyderabad. It is spicy version of Idli made on tawa.
What is Spot Idli?
Spot Idli is a different version of idli cooked on tawa. It will be crispy on the top and soft inside. It is so quick and easy to make if you have the idli batter ready.
Spicy onion tomato masala is cooked on the tawa with all spices and idli batter is poured on the top and cooked. You can make it as evening snacks or dinner.
- Idli batter - Use any type of idli batter.
- Idly podi - Usually Nalla karam podi is used in Andhra. I used normal idli podi
- Onion - Finely chopped.
- Tomatoes - Finely chopped.
- Green chilli - for spiciness, skip when making for kids.
- Spices - Turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Garam masala.
- Butter - Replace with oil.
- Garnish - finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves.
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat butter in a flat dosa pan. Add the chopped onions and tomatoes.
To it add half of finely chopped green chilli, curry leaves and coriander leaves
Then add all the spices and idli podi to it.
Saute nicely sprinkling little water.
Once it is cooked, split them into four parts.
Add one spoon of idli batter to each part.
Sprinkle idli podi and finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves on top of it.
Finally, sprinkle ghee or oil to it.
Cloae with lid and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Carefully flip the idli and cook for few seconds. Hot and delicious spot idli is ready.
- Idli batter - Use rava idli batter, millet idli batter or any type of batter to make this spicy idli.
- Spicy - Adjust the spices according to your preference.
- Veggies- you can add veggies like carrot, beans, capsicum, paneer, mushroom and options are endless.
- Non-Veg - Add chicken, egg, fish along with onion, tomato.
- Idli podi - Any type of podi like paruppu podi, sesame podi, Kollu podi, Kakarakaya Karam Podi, curry leaves podi can be used.
Since this is spicy you can have on its own without side dishes. If you want something on side, you can try the below recipes.
- You can use any type of idli batter to make this spicy idli
- In Andhra they use Nalla Karam podi for making spot idli
- Adjust the spices according to your preference.
- You can add some veggies, egg, or chicken along with masala.
- Enjoy the spot idli hot from tawa.
- Idli Batter 1 cup
- Onion 1 big
- Tomato 1 medium
- Green chilli 1
- Salt as required
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala ¼ tsp
- Idli podi 1 tbsp
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves 5-6 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsp finely chpped
- Heat butter in a flat dosa pan.
- Add the chopped onions and tomatoes.
- To it add half of finely chopped green chilli, curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Then add all the spices and idli podi to it.
- Saute nicely sprinkling little water.
- Once it is cooked, split them into four parts.
- Add one spoon of idli batter to each part.
- Sprinkle idli podi and finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves on top of it.
- Sprinkle ghee or oil to it.
- Cloae with lid and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully flip the idli and cook for few seconds
- Hot and delicious spot idli is ready.
I am sure you will love these street food recipes as well.
If you have tried this recipe and liked it, please do leave your valuable comment and share picture of recipe with hashtag #namscorner in Instagram or mail me @email@example.com. You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or subscribe to get regular updates on your mailbox.