Jhal Muri Recipe | How to make Jhal Muri with step-by-step pictures and instructions. It is a popular street food in Bengal made with puffed rice, vegetables, spices, and mustard oil.
Jhal means spicy and muri means puffed rice in Bengali. Jhal muri is quick and spicy puffed rice snack made in less than 15 minutes. Adjust the spice powders according to your preference and serve it immediately.
- Puffed rice - key ingredient of the recipe
- Vegetables - onions, tomatoes, cucumber, boiled potatoes.
- Peanuts - Roasted peanuts adds crunch
- Mustard oil - Gives unique flavor and taste
- Spices - Red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, Amchur powder, black salt
- Lemon juice - makes it tangy
See recipe card for quantities.
Take chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber, and boiled potatoes in a bowl.
Add red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, amchur powder, and black salt to it.
Give a quick mix and puffed rice to it.
Add mustard oil to it.
Mix it and then add roasted peanuts to it.
Finally, squeeze the lemon juice.
Mix, garnish with coriander leaves, sev and serve.
Spicy Jhal muri is ready.
- 2 cups Puffed rice
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 small Tomato
- 1/4 cup Cucumber
- 1 cup Boiled potatoes
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Amchur powder
- 1/2 tsp Black salt
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 3 tbsp Sev
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Take chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber, green chilli, and boiled potatoes in a bowl.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, amchur powder, and black salt to it.
- Give a quick mix and puffed rice to it.
- Add mustard oil to it.
- Mix it and then add roasted peanuts to it.
- Finally, squeeze the lemon juice.
- Mix, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Spicy Jhal muri is ready.
- Chanachur - It is type of Bombay mixture which they usually use instead of sev
- Muri Masala- It is special masala used for preparing Jhal muri. we have substituted with normal spices
- Spices- You can use chaat masala and skip amchur powder
- Spicy - Add green chilli along with red chilli powder.
- Legumes- You can add boiled chana or yellow peas
- Kid friendly - Skip green chilli and reduce the spice level if making for kids
- Serve it immediately as puffed rice will become soggy if you mix and keep for long time
- Puffed rice should be crispy. If it is not crispy dry roast for few minutes.
If you have tried this recipe and liked it, please do leave your valuable comment and share picture of recipe with hashtag #namscorner in Instagram or mail me @email@example.com. You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or subscribe to get regular updates on your mail box.