Batata poha is a quick breakfast or snack recipe from Maharashtra. It is so quick and easy to prepare in less than 15 minutes
It is also popular in Gujarat with few variations. Aloo poha is so flavorful with crunchy peanuts, roasted potatoes, green chilli, ginger, and coriander leaves
Shhh Cooking Secretly Challenge
Challenge for this month is Maharashtrian Cuisine suggested by Poonam. I always look for authentic Maharashtrian recipes in her blog. Next, I wanted to try her Kandyachya Patichi Bhaji soon.
I am excited to be paired with Renu. Schools have started which keeps me so busy. So I made this simple aloo poha but next time should try Maharashtrian Thali from her blog. I gave her ginger and coconut and she made the delicious Mugachi Usal.
- Poha - You can use thick or thin variety of poha. Soaking time will vary depending on the type.
- Potato - Slightly roast the potatoes and add it
- Onion - Add finely chopped onions
- Spices - Green chilli, ginger, turmeric powder
- Tempering - Temper with mustard, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves
- Peanuts - Add it for crunch taste
- Garnish with coriander leaves
See the recipe card for quantities.
Take poha, wash it, soak it for 2-3 minutes, drain water and keep it aside
Heat oil and add the cubed potatoes
Roast them till golden, remove them to a plate
In the same pan, add remaining oil and add mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves and hing
Add peanuts and roast it
Add green chilli and chopped ginger to it
Then add finely chopped onions and saute for few minutes
Next add salt and turmeric powder to it
Add cubed potatoes to it and give a quick mix
Then add the poha to it and mix till combined
Add lemon juice to it
Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame
Hint: Do not soak the poha for longer time as it may turn mushy. For thin variety of poha, just rinse it nicely and drain water.
- 1 cup Poha
- 1 Potato
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 Green chilli
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt as required
- Handful of peanuts
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Take poha, wash it, soak it for 2-3 minutes, drain water and keep it aside
- Heat oil and add the cubed potatoes
- Roast them till golden, remove them to a plate
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and add mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and hing
- Add peanuts and roast it
- Add green chilli and chopped ginger to it
- Then add finely chopped onions and saute for a few minutes
- Next, add salt and turmeric powder to it
- Add cubed potatoes to it and give a quick mix
- Then add the poha to it and mix till combined
- Add lemon juice to it
- Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame
- Batata poha is ready
- Veggies - You can use peas, carrot and beans to it
- Poha- I used thick variety of poha. You can use any any variety. Soaking time will vary depending on the type of poha.
- Add grated coconut to it.
- Garnish with pomegranate pearls
- You can make lemon Poha as well
Do not soak the poha for longer time as it will turn mushy
Soak for just 2-3 minutes, drain water and keep it aside for thick variety of poha. For thin variety just wash and drain the water. No need to soak it.
I roasted potatoes separately and added it. You can add it after onions and roast it as well
f you have tried this recipe and liked it, please do leave your valuable comment and share picture of recipe with hashtag #namscorner in Instagram or mail me @firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or subscribe to get regular updates on your mail box.