Cowpea Sundal | Lobia Sundal | Thatta Payiru Sundal Recipe with step-by-step pictures and instructions. Cowpea Sundal is a healthy and nutritious snack recipe made with lobia and spices.
What is Lobia Sundal?
Sundal is one of the most commonly made dish for Navratri and different festivals in Tamilnadu. Lobia sundal is quick and easy recipe as it takes less time to soak. Soak for 2-3 hours and make this delicious sundal.
When you have the Sundal Podi handy, this can be made very quickly. You can try this sundal for festivals or serve it as evening snacks. This can be packed as snacks for school kids too.
- Cowpea - Soak cowpea and pressure cook it
- Sundal Podi - Spicy masala which makes the sundal flavorful
- Coconut - optional but highly recommended.
- Tempering - Temper with mustard, urad dal, hing, red chilli, and curry leaves
See recipe card for quantities.
Soak cowpea for 2-3 hours
Pressure cook the lobia with salt for 3 whistles in the pressure cooker.
Drain the water and keep it aside
Heat oil and temper with mustard, urad dal, red chilli, curry leaves, and hing.
Add cooked cowpeas to it and give a quick saute.
Then add sundal masala powder to it.
Finally, add the grated coconut.
Mix and switch off the flame
Delicious cowpea sundal is ready
- Cowpea/Karamani 1/2 cup
- Sundal masala powder 2-3 tsp
- Coconut 1-2 tbsp
- Salt as required
- Oil 2 tsp
- Mustard 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Red chilli 1
- Hing 2-3 pinch
- Soak cowpea for 2-3 hours
- Pressure cook the lobia with salt for 3 whistles in the pressure cooker.
- Heat oil and temper with mustard, urad dal, red chilli, curry leaves, and hing.
- Add cooked cowpeas to it and give a quick saute.
- Then add sundal masala powder to it.
- Finally, add the grated coconut.
- Mix and switch off the flame
- Delicious cowpea sundal is ready
- Sundal Podi- use sambar powder instead of sundal podi.
- Adjust the sundal podi and coconut according to your taste
- You can add finely chopped green chilli for spice too.
If you have tried this recipe and liked it, please do leave your valuable comment and share picture of recipe with hashtag #namscorner in Instagram or mail me @email@example.com. You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or subscribe to get regular updates on your mail box.